Here is a quick, easy way to make a skirt for your dolls.
Using the pant leg from an old pair of jeans (these were adult women’s size), you can make a skirt for your doll in less than 30 minutes!
Here are the steps:
Measure the length you want the skirt to be on your doll and add about 3/4″ for the casing. You’ll use the existing hem.
- Fold over the raw edge about 1/4″ , press; fold over another 1/2″; press. Then sew around this edge to make a casing for your elastic. Make sure to leave an opening of about 1″ so you can insert the elastic.
- Measure your doll’s waist and subtract about 3/4″. Cut your elastic to this measurement plus 1/2″ (use either 1/4″ or 3/8″ elastic). Make a mark on the elastic where your actual measurement ends so you’ll know where to cut it off after you’ve sewn it in.
- Attach safety pins to each end of the elastic. Run the elastic through the casing; sew the opening shut; trim off the excess ends of the elastic.
I added the little butterfly on to the front. It’s made of sticky crystals, which are then heat set. You can do so many other things to personalize this skirt:
- add rick rack
- add a fancy trim or lace to the hem
- add an applique
- belt it
- sew a design in contrasting thread
What are your ideas?