I’ve seen various versions of salon capes for American Girl dolls, so I thought it would be fun to make one.
I’ve included links to several tutorials at the end of this post, which go into way more detail than I do here.
I didn’t follow any one of these exactly, but they gave me a good idea of what to do.
Here’s how I made mine:
Mine started out as this bag that was provided to participants in a recent sporting event. Nylon backpack style bag. Looks perfect since you want a fabric with a washable surface – just like real salon cape.
First I de-constructed the bag. Cut both side seams and removed the blue cording. Bonus! I ended up with about 4 yards of this really nice cord!
The piece I had left remaining was bout 14″ x 18″, roughly. Next steps:
- Find and mark center of fabric
- Cut a straight line from the center out to the end, long-ways (is that a word?)
- Cut a hole about 2″ across at the center for neckline.
- I wanted my cape to be round so I folded the piece in half, then half again, and cut an arc at the bottom .
- Use ribbon, bias tape, or whatever you have to trim the raw edges all the way around. I used some vintage floral ribbon that I had on hand. 7/8″ cotton ribbon that was very, very stiff! A little tricky to work with, but I got through it. I decided to glue my ribbon on. You could also sew it if you wanted. I folded the ribbon in half, then glued it to both sides of the edges all the way around.
- Attach Velcro or other means to close the cape.
Here are some links to other tutorials I found doing a quick search. Hope you can find one that’s right for you. If you make one, I’d LOVE to see it!